In 1875, Richard Joshua Reynolds, of Patrick County, Virginia, built his first tobacco factory a few hundred feet from Hanes's factory.
"Camel City" is a reference to the city's historic involvement in the tobacco industry related to locally based R. Another nickname, "the Dash," comes from the (-) in the city's name, although technically it is a hyphen, not a dash; this nickname is only used by the local minor league baseball team, the Winston-Salem Dash. The city of Winston-Salem is a product of the merging of the two neighboring towns of Winston and Salem in 1913.
The members of the City Council are Denise Adams (North Ward), Mayor Pro Tempore Vivian Burke (Northeast Ward), Derwin Montgomery (East Ward), James Taylor, Jr.
(Southeast Ward), Molly Leight (South Ward), Dan Besse (Southwest Ward), Robert Clark (West Ward), Jeff Mac Intosh (Northwest Ward).
After a referendum the towns were officially incorporated as "Winston-Salem" in 1913. By the 1940s, 60% of Winston-Salem workers worked either for Reynolds or in the Hanes textile factories.
The Reynolds company imported so much French cigarette paper and Turkish tobacco for Camel cigarettes that Winston-Salem was designated by the United States federal government as an official port of entry for the United States, despite the city being 200 miles (320 km) inland. Reynolds Tobacco Company, it was the tallest building in the United States south of Baltimore, Maryland, and it was named the best building of the year by the American Institute of Architects.